Thursday, November 29, 2007

Mujhe Jeene Do

Reading about Bandits reminded me of this old childhood favourite Mujhe Jeene Do, (literally, "Let me Live" or "Cry for Life" as IMDB has it) the 1963 film with Sunil Dutt and Waheeda Rehman in the main roles. Sunil Dutt plays perhaps the most handsome dacoit in the history of films and will fit Hobsbawm's definition of a "social bandit" very well.

This film used to haunt me for a long time, specially this song which I found on youtube. I, of course, didn't really understand it completely at that time (and it is good that the kid in the song can't understand anything either.) No subtitles though, but in essence the song is about her hopelessness and despair about her son's future even as she wishes for him to grow up. Another beautiful song from the film here. Sahir Ludhianvi wrote the lyrics and the music was by Jaidev.

3 comments:

That Armchair Philosopher said...

not flimsy, but filmsy? :)

but an entire blog on film - darn, I wish you weren't so prolific, its going to take me eons to read through all of that!

Szerelem said...

Sunil Dutt plays perhaps the most handsome dacoit in the history of films - Oh I totally agree with that :)
I have only vague recollections of the film though...

Alok said...

TAP: just idle scribblings. nothing deep or complicated, that is if you find it interesting in the first place.

szerelem: I haven't seen it in a long time as well but somehow it has remained with me after all these years.