Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pretentious Crap or Masterpieces ? -- Part 1



Claire Denis's The Intruder(L'Intrus) has been called "a tactile tone poem", "a masterpiece of free association", full of "poetic energy" and all sorts of hyperbolic things. If you thought Mulholland Dr. was "difficult" or wanting to "understand" a film means "what really happened" to you, don't even go near this. This review in The Village Voice says that the film is "a direct line from her [Claire Denis's] unconscious to yours." Bummer! I should have known this before watching it. I could have been more open to all those mysterious voices which were trying to reach me! Also worth reading are the reviews from NYT, salon and Film Comment

Some viewers seem bothered that they can't sort out the real from the delirium and the memories from the prophecies in The Intruder. But would anyone demand that of an epic poem?

Hmmm.

My own reaction was mostly like this reviewer from The Guardian
I'm still scratching my head over this one, but the itch is mostly pleasant.

But still $9.50 for a pleasant itching sensation seems a little too much!

Claire Denis's notorious cannibalism-as-a-metaphor-for-love film, Trouble Every Day has been long on my list but I will think twice now. If you haven't heard of TED you can read a few things here and here.

No comments: